NETFLIX has announced it is dropping a chilling documentary uncovering the brutal murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier.
The three-part series examines the case after the French documentary producer and writer was beaten to death at the age of 39, outside her holiday home near Toormore, Schull, County Cork, Ireland, on the night of 23 December 1996.
- The best documentaries on Netflix
- New on Netflix: What to watch this week
Multiple attempts were made by the French state to extradite the sole suspect, Ian Bailey, a journalist who was arrested twice and convicted in absentia in relation to the murder, but maintains his innocence.
On 31 May 2019, Bailey was convicted of murder by the Cour d'Assises de Paris and sentenced to 25 years prison.
France was hoping to secure an extradition from Ireland on the basis of this sentence, but on October 12, 2020, Ireland's High Court ruled that Bailey could not be extradited.
Later that same month, the Irish State decided not to appeal the High Court's finding ending the attempt to extradite Bailey.
The streaming service states the documentary features Sophie's family and those involved with the story.
Created by Oscar winning producer of Searching for Sugarman and Man on Wire, Simon Chinn, the series says it unravels the story and offers a "unique window into the ongoing battle to find justice for Sophie".
It was filmed in West Cork, Ireland and in France and Sophie's son Pierre-Louis Baudey, alongside residents from Schull and the local press feature.
Suzanne Lavery and Simon Chinn, exec producers behind the show, said: "Sophie was much more than a victim of a murder. She was a mother, a daughter, a sister, a filmmaker and a writer.
"Whatever actually happened on that cold December night in 1996, the story is one of a collision of worlds, cultures and characters and it was that which drew us to it.
What’s on Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime?
Looking for a new Netflix series to binge or the best movies to watch on Amazon Prime? We have you covered…
- New on Netflix: The best series and films released every day
- The best movies on Netflix to watch right now
- The best series to watch on Netflix
- The most terrifying horrors to watch on Netflix right now
- The best documentaries to watch on Netflix right now
- The best comedies to watch on Netflix right now
- The best thrillers to watch on Netflix right now
- The best kids' shows on Netflix to watch right now
- The best true crime series to watch on Netflix
- The best movies to watch on Amazon Prime
- The best series to watch on Amazon Prime
- The best series on Disney+
"But it was meeting and gaining the trust of Sophie’s family which really gave us our purpose.
"Justice has eluded them for a quarter of a century since Sophie’s death and their main aim in cooperating with us to make this series is to do justice to her memory.
"We hope we have achieved that, for them."
Sophie: A murder in West Cork will launch on Netflix on June 30, 2021.
Source: Read Full Article