Man breaks penis during sex, makes medical history by missing target
Man’s extremely swollen kidneys could kill him by crushing his lungs
Botched filler nearly causes woman to lose nose, mouth to flesh-eating bug
Sharing is not caring: Man accidentally uses roommate’s razor, contracts devastating infection
A cocktail left an Australian reveler struggling to stand — and not in the way you’d think.
Meegan Clancy redefined “hot shots” after someone accidentally spilled a cocktail on her foot, inexplicably leaving her with painful, debilitating burns.
“It was very dramatically ugly. I don’t have pretty feet as it is,” Clancy recently told Kennedy News of the tootsie-searing incident, which occurred in October in Sydney. The 44-year-old was reportedly day-drinking with friends on a boat when someone spilled a vodka, lime and soda on her bare foot, the Mirror reported.
The Sydney native toweled off her toes and didn’t think anything of it until that night when it began to feel “very hot and quite sore,” Clancy recounted of her bizarre chemical burn
“I turned on the light and went ‘Oh, my goodness,’” exclaimed the Aussie. “It had swollen up to my knee and it was absolutely burning.”
The pain became so great that she was forced to sleep with her foot in a box to prevent anything touching it.
The next day, after failing to put on shoes due to the agony, the pained party gal hobbled into work, whereupon her boss sent her to the hospital to get her tortured trotter examined, the Mirror reported.
After six hours of examination by different departments, medics diagnosed Clancy with contact dermatitis — an itchy rash generally caused by allergies — but still weren’t sure what sparked the reaction. The perplexed patient thought she might’ve contracted the rash while swimming with friends over the weekend.
Shortly thereafter, Clancy’s skin began to blister.
“It almost looked like acid burn,” said the mortified woman, who analogized the Freddy-Krueger-evoking splotch to a “wine stain” birthmark that children get. Not only that but “my calves were the size of my thighs,” remarked Clancy.
The mystery was revealed after Clancy’s property manager uploaded pics of her foot to social media: one of her girlfriends said she had “margarita burn,” a common skin affliction caused by chemicals in lime reacting to the sun.
Dubbed phytophotodermatitis, the “Fight Club”-esque reaction generally occurs when someone gets a “substance on the skin that’s photo- or UV-sensitive,” said Dr. Clarissa Yang, a dermatologist at Tufts Medical Center in Boston. When exposed to the sun, this can cause a “phototoxic reaction,” she said.
The malady can manifest as anything from painless pigmentation to excruciating blisters — as in Clancy’s case — depending on the skin tone and level of exposure.
However, because reaction time is usually delayed — anywhere from one to three days, per Yang — it can be difficult for patients to realize what’s happening.
“The issue when the burn comes up is that you don’t realize what created it,” lamented Clancy, who struggled to walk for weeks due to the severe pain. It was also cosmetically catastrophic with her skin discoloration reportedly persisting for months before finally subsiding, the Metro reported.
Thankfully, it appears that the worst is over. “My foot’s pretty normal now,” said the relieved reveler, who’s reportedly still “very cautious when I’m out in the sun because I still think there’s a little bit of staining.”
In the event that Clancy inadvertently toes the lime in the future, doctors recommend getting a prescription cream from one’s doctor and applying aloe vera to soothe the burn in the interim.
Meanwhile, the astute woman plans to bring baby wipes with her on future outings to avoid potential complications caused by some errant fruit by the foot.
Share this article:
Source: Read Full Article