Vet shares toys dog owners should never give pet – including 2 popular bones

A veterinary clinic has shares an urgent warning to dog owners about the toys you should never give to your pooches.

The River Road Veterinary Clinic in Norwich has released a list of the items pet owners should avoid.

The vet decided to share the list after noticing a spike in injuries.

READ MORE: Top tips on caring for elderly dogs – including good diet and mental stimulation

Although some minor injuries only affect the mouth, the vet said dogs can need surgery if they accidentally ingest parts of the toy.

The vet team first urged dog lovers to stop giving their dogs rawhides to chew on.

Despite them keeping some dogs occupied for hours, the experts said rawhides can be particularly dangerous if they enter your pet's digestive system.

They told The Sun: "They are often swallowed and they absorb water and swell within the stomach, growing in size and rendering them unable to pass through the intestines.'

The vet team said if dogs swallow a large piece of rawhide, then surgery is the only option to remove it.

They instead recommend giving dogs pressed rawhide chews as they dissolve naturally and don't swell in the stomach.

And rawhide isn't the only type of bone that the experts have warned against.

They urged dog owners to think twice before giving dogs marrow bones. This is because the centre can prove to be problematic.

The experts added: "The fatty marrow found in the centre of the bones can cause pancreatitis in sensitive dogs so it is best to scoop most of the centre out before giving it to your pet."

As well as this, the vets said dog owners shouldn't be cooking the marrowbones before giving them to their pets.

This is because it can make the outside splinter, which runs the risk of removal surgery.

Meanwhile people were also urged to inspect any rubber balls they're letting their pooches play with, as these balls will often have one air hole on the side – which runs the risk of suctioning itself to the dog's tongue.

If this occurs, it can cut the blood flow and cause dangerous nerve damage.

The experts said it is possible to find some without a risky air hole for dogs who love these types of toys, however.

Lastly, the bet team said that dogs often risk trouble when playing with small soft toys as they will often get torn apart over time and dogs end up ingesting bit of the toys. This can result in life-threatening blockages in the intestines.

They recommended sticking to soft toys which have been specifically designed for dogs – as they will usually be more durable.

In other dog news, a woman in the US has revealed she's got a matching tattoo with her dog.

Animal lover Sam shared a video on TikTok, which went viral, when she got the same tattoo as her pet Beagle, Ted.


  • 'I ditched church as religious family don't support my OnlyFans – it's disappointing'
  • Model turns naughty cowgirl and flaunts curvy bum to celebrate Instagram milestone
  • Page 3 babe goes topless to avoid tan lines and delights fans with sexy snaps
  • Boozer offering bottomless crisp buffet with 30 different flavours to choose from
  • For more lifestyle stories, sign up to the free Hot Topics newsletter here

Source: Read Full Article