How Luxury Fashion Is Stepping Up to Combat Coronavirus

In the midst of the coronavirus's spread across the globe, some luxury fashion houses are stepping up to do their part. 

Luxury goods conglomerate LVMH, the parent company of brands like Louis Vuitton and Dior, is hoping to aid French health authorities by manufacturing hand sanitizer and providing it to them for free. According to CNN, LVMH said it will use all the production facilities of its perfumes and cosmetics brands to produce large quantities of hydroalcoholic gel, or hand sanitizer, starting Monday.

The gel will be then delivered to French health authorities and the Assistance Publique-Hospitaux de Paris, a network of teaching hospitals that treats more than 8 million patients every year. 

"Through this initiative, LVMH intends to help address the risk of a lack of product in France and enable a greater number of people to continue to take the right action to protect themselves from the spread of the virus," the company said in a statement to CNN.

LVMH

According to Women's Wear Daily, LVMH has also donated $2.3 million to the Chinese Red Cross Foundation. 

Elsewhere, Business Insider reported that Miuccia Prada and Patrizio Bertelli have donated two resuscitation and complete intensive care units to each hospital in Milan, Italy — where coronavirus (which causes COVID-19) cases have caused emergency measures nationwide. 

COVID-19 and efforts to stem its spread have had a severe impact on several industries, including fashion. Last month, Giorgio Armani opted to hold his Milan Fashion Week show in an empty theater via livestream in an effort to safeguard public health. 

Dior has postponed its cruise show, originally scheduled for May 9, and Gucci has also put its 2021 cruise show on hold. Fashion's biggest night out, the Met Gala, is currently "under review" as the museum closes temporarily due to health concerns. 

Last week, the World Health Organization officially declared the coronavirus a pandemic.

"WHO has been in full response mode since we were notified of the first cases," WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said. "And we have called every day for countries to take urgent and aggressive action. We have rung the alarm bell loud and clear."

Source: Read Full Article