A dog has been left seriously ill after gobbling down a cookie filled with cannabis it found on a path.
Billy the six-year-old Cavachon's concerned owner Sarah Eccles has released a video of her beloved pooch 'stoned' as a warning to other animal lovers.
The footage shows googley-eyed Billy – a King Charles Cavalier/Bichon Frise cross – experiencing the psychedelic effects of the weed.
The video taken at their home in Leyland, Lancashire, shows the pup with bloodshot, sunken eyes, swaying back and forth while sat down.
But within two hours Billy's condition took a nasty turn – he began having fits and became unable to stand straight.
Sarah rang an emergency vet, who told her to bring the canine in immediately for urgent treatment.
By the time vet Sian Smith saw Billy, he had lost control of his bladder, was suffering from tremors and his heart rate had slowed dramatically.
Ms Smith gave the dog an injection to induce vomiting, to try to get the drugs out, and inserted an IV line to provide him with fluids.
Billy remained at Myerscough Veterinary Group overnight under the close supervision of a nurse, who ensured he made a full recovery.
Teacher Sarah has released the video of Billy so other dog owners can see what the warning signs for an animal that has ingested cannabis look like.
She says Billy gobbled up the cookie during a walk on Saturday.
She said: "It was very frightening to see the effects of the cannabis on Billy.
"He began by twitching and fitting. He couldn’t stand up and even when he was sat on the vinyl flooring in the vets, his legs just splayed out.
"To other pet owners, just be vigilant. If unsure, seek medical advice immediately.
"The vet warned us that had we left it to linger, it had been over 4 hours since he had eaten the cannabis when we sought help, the outcome may have been very different.
"We are so thankful to the vets. They were great and as concerned for Billy as we were.
"With injections to induce vomiting, an IV drip, charcoal medicine administered every few hours and overnight observation at the vets, he has since made a good recovery."
Ms Smith said Sarah's vigilant quick-thinking might have saved Billy's life.
She added: "Cannabis can be really harmful to dogs and with baked goods, chocolate is toxic to them as well, so we would always advise owners to seek immediate medical attention.
"Treatment very much depends on how much they've eaten – and how long ago since they ate it.
"If it happened very recently, we can give an emetic injection to make them sick.
Source: Read Full Article