ELEVEN shops have had to recall cold and flu pills after a dosing error has been made on the label. c
The leaflet for the tablets – given to relieve symptoms of cold and flu – overstate how many tablets teens can take.
It says children aged 12 to 15 years can take a maximum of up to 12 capsules per day, when the limit is in fact eight.
Only those aged 16 and over are allowed to take 12 capsules a day.
But the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency has said no children should become unwell.
The daily dose stated on the packet is still “very low” and there is “no evidence of any harm”.
The MHRA recommended dose of paracetamol per day for 12 to 15-year-olds is 3g a day, and 12 capsules is 3.6g a day.
The product is made by the company Perrigo, which is recalling batches of Cold & Flu Relief Capsules (GSL) from various stores.
In Boots they are named “Blocked Nose & Headache Relief Capsules”, in Aldi “Health Essentials Cold Relief Capsules” and in Tesco “Cold Relief Capsules”.
The stores affected are: Wilko, Spar, Waitrose, Aldi, ASDA, Superdrug, Sainsbury’s, Lloyds, Morrison, Boots and Tesco.
For batch numbers affected, please see the Government website.
Dr Alison Cave, MHRA Chief Safety Officer said: “I want to reassure people that, while this recall is aimed at retail level only, patient safety is at the centre of all our decision-making.
“If you or your child are aged 12 to 15 years, have recently used these capsules and have not experienced any side effects, there is no cause for concern.
“If you currently have one of these packets at home, please take note of the corrected dose in this age group and talk to your pharmacist if you are unsure of these changes.
“If you have any other questions, please speak to your healthcare professional and report any adverse reactions via the Yellow Card scheme."
What products are affected?
- Wilko Non-Drowsy Decongestant with Paracetamol
- Spar Cold Relief Capsules
- Essential Waitrose Cold & Flu Relief Capsules
- Aldi Health Essentials Cold Relief Capsules
- ASDA Cold Relief Capsules
- Superdrug Cold Relief Capsules
- Sainsbury’s Healthcare Cold Relief Capsules
- Sainsbury’s Healthcare Sinus Dual Relief Capsules
- Lloyds Cold Relief Capsules
- WM Morrison Cold Relief Capsules
- Boots Cold & Flu Relief Capsules
- Boots Blocked Nose & Headache Relief Capsules
- Tesco Cold Relief Capsules
- Galpharm Cold Relief Capsules
To see if your box is affected, find out the batch numbers on the Government website.
Source: Read Full Article