Prince Harry has been warned he and wife Meghan won’t be allowed armed guards when they visit The Netherlands for the Invictus Games.
The Sussexes are due to attend the opening ceremony of the games in The Hague on Saturday [April 16] in what is the couple’s first visit to Europe since they quit royal life and moved to the US.
But last night Dutch authorities said Harry and Meghan's private close protection officers cannot be armed if they travel to the country for the four-day long games.
Harry launched the event, which sees injured or sick serving and veteran army personnel from around the world compete in sporting events, in 2014.
The couple are believed to employ their own armed guards in the US but they aren’t permitted to use them when they come to Britain – and it seems the Dutch authorities agree.
But Harry, 37, and Meghan, 40, are likely to be given full protection by the Dutch police at the games as the King of the Netherlands, Willem-Alexander, and his aunt, Princess Margriet, honorary chair of the Recommendation Committee of the Invictus Games, are both planning to attend.
Harry and Meghan, who were stripped of all royal responsibilities after quitting their senior roles, will not be staying with the Dutch royal family and will not receive an audience with King Willem-Alexander or Queen Maxima while they are in The Hague.
Secrets Of The Royal Residences
This special collector's edition of OK! looks inside the hidden tunnels at Buckingham Palace, the spectacular gardens at Highgrove, the Cambridges' town and country retreats and the cosy Welsh bolthole loved by Charles and Camilla.
It explores exactly what it takes to run a royal household, with experts and former staff revealing how they prepare to host state dinners and celebrations.
Plus, discover the history and hauntings of the residences and how you can holiday on the royal estate.
You can purchase the special edition magazinehere for £4.99.
Harry is currently embroiled in a legal case with the British Government after his taxpayer-funded Metropolitan Police armed guards were removed when he quit royal duties and moved to the US.
The duke is suing the Government with High Court papers revealing that he "does not feel safe" in Britain without armed security. He has called the decision to remove armed security "unlawful and "unfair".
His legal team says Harry doesn’t want to return to Britain with his children, Archie, two, and 10-month-old Lilibet, because the police here will not let his private security team use guns or access security intelligence.
If the case progresses, it will lead to a high court battle between ministers and Harry in what is thought to be the first time a member of the royal family has brought a case against the government.
Last month as the row continued, Harry pulled out of a Service of Thanksgiving for Prince Philip at Westminster Abbey.
It’s not known if he will use his trip to Europe to cross the Channel to pay a visit to the Queen for her 96th birthday on April 21 or meet up with other family members.
For all the latest royal news, sign up to OK!'s brand new Royal newsletter.
Source: Read Full Article