Jay-Z Wont Pay $67M to Parlux Fragrances After Hes Cleared in Breach of Contract Lawsuit

While the ‘Empire State of Mind’ hitmaker doesn’t need to pay anything to the company bosses, his request to receive $6 million in unpaid royalties is also denied.

AceShowbizJay-Z can now breathe a sigh of relief. After a Manhattan jury cleared the “Empire State of Mind” hitmaker in a breach of contract lawsuit against Parlux Fragrances, the jury decided that he shouldn’t have to pay $67.6 million to the company.

“You failed to prove your case, they failed to prove their case,” Justice Andrew Borrok told lawyers for both parties after the verdict was announced on Wednesday, November 10. “That’s the outcome.”

While the hip-hop mogul was not held liable for $67,7 million in requested damages, Parlux Fragrances bosses also didn’t have to give the husband of Beyonce Knowles unpaid royalties. He was previously asking for $6 million.

Following the jury’s decision, Jay-Z left the court with a huge smile. In a picture surfacing online, the father of Blue Ivy was seen dressed in a black suit, black tie and a pair of sunglasses. After leaving the courtroom, he told the press through a representative, “I’d like to express my gratitude to the jury, especially during these difficult times.”

The Wednesday verdict arrived nearly six years after Parlux bosses filed the breach of contract lawsuit. They claimed that they had lost millions in the collaboration, due to Jay-Z’s refusal to promote “Gold Jay-Z” on TV and at an in-store appearance at department store Macy’s.

The Roc-A-Fella co-founder himself has filed a countersuit against the company. He accused its bosses of failing to furnish him with accounting reports and promotional resources, among other things.

During an October 29 hearing, Jay-Z was grilled by Parlux’s lawyer. “In the fragrance industry, it is virtually impossible to sustain the success of a celebrity fragrance brand [unless it’s bolstered by] promotional support from the celebrity in the form of public appearances,” the lawyer told the court.

However, Jay-Z defended himself. He insisted that he “did a lot for the Gold Jay-Z launch. I had a year to complete these (obligations).”

Source: Read Full Article